The new SDK version 1.5 was already available for download mid April (link), only some end of April the Firmware 1.5 was available to update the Android phone itself. Please note the below instructions how to update does apply ONLY to the Android Developer Phone (ADP1) ! It wont work for the phones released with contracts by T-Mobile, etc. Please wait for your service provider to inform you when the update is available for you (matter of days or weeks).
Whats in the box:
How to update (the advanced way):
- HTC Android Support Page (link)
Simple instructions for an update without installing or using the SDK or its tools (following this Android forum thread) without any guarantee that it works for you.
- It is strongly advisable to the following steps after backing up your data (even you should not loose it during the procedure), to a have a fully charged battery or better keep the device connected to the USB wire for power supply. Firmware updates with collapsing battery power can screw your device.
- Download signed-dream_devphone-ota-147201.zip and ota-radio-2_22_19_26I.zip from the HTC support page.
- Connect to Android via USB in drive-mode (select mount on the Android screen). Eventually you need to download and the driver for the Android first (link) in order to see it as a drive.
- Copy (do not unzip!) ota-radio-2_22_19_26I.zip to the root of the SD card (which you see as drive in Windows) and rename it to update.zip
- Remove USB connection (better eject device only and keep the USB wire connected)
- Shut down Android
- Restart while holding down the home button.
- You see a screen with a warning sign, open the keyboard and press ALT+L to access a simple text menu.
- Press ALT+S to start the update.
- press HOME + BACK to reboot
- After a while your Android should start up as normal.
- Repeat the steps 3. to 10. with the second file signed-dream_devphone-ota-147201.zip.
The second reboot takes longer than the first one, maybe 2 minutes.
- FINISHED !
- You dont loose your settings, data, history.
- It slightly looks different, but there aren’t that many new applications or features (check the speech recognition feature!). It is mainly improvement of existing functionality.
- GPS applications might not work anymore (like GPS status). Download the newer version via Android Market.
- Guess some book refering to SDK 1.0 need to be updated.
- Need to check if the SDK still works with Netbeans.