Getting more into Android development made me look out for tablet style Android. The Android tablet boom is just starting and every other week you find a new device. I went to Sitex 2010 in Singapore and bought a Palladine Palroid for 339.- SGD. Palladine is a Singapore based company producing screens, now venturing into the tablet business. I assume the Palroid’s are (partly) manufactured in China and final assembled and quality checked in Singapore. Right now there is not much info about the device in the web yet. Here a few first impressions out of the box:
In the box you find the device, a pouch, a stylus pen, a earphone, a mini HDMI wire, charger and 2 USB wires.
We need to be reasonable while judging the device and its quality. It comes at the entry level price and dont compare it straightforward with a Android device 3 times more expensive like the DELL.
Some quick facts upon first glance:
- Despite its price the device and the body looks OK. Nicely build casing.
- Memory 256 MB
- Build-in 8GB for your files, plus SD card slot.
- No camera or GPS.
- No phone function or SIM card slot.
- Battery is build-in.
- You van use it out-of-the box, it comes with some selected pre-installed applications. I could watch movies on the spot, open Excel sheets and read PDF’s.
- It comes with Android 2.1 (means there is NO flash in your browser).
- It comes with Android Market and you can download lots and lots of applications that work with 2.1
- Use the HDMI wire to connect it to your Full HD TV.
- The touchscreen is a bit sluggish, but you get used to it or use the stylus (strangely the device has no “hole” to put the stylus in, so loosing the stylus is one of the first things that happen to you)
My recommendation: If you want an Android on a shoestring and just do simple things like reading, watch movies, simple games,.. Go for it. If you expect a lot with the style factor of an iPad and smooth touchscreen, you need to pay more !
I am charging the device and will update you with more results and facts soon. Stay tuned !