Since it does make little sense to purchase am expensive (but soon outdated) Galaxy Tab, Toshiba 100 or any of its big brand brothers, I decided to go for one of these China wholesale Android devices that we need for some testing and development. You certainly come across the ads from dhgate.com and similar offerings that pop up on any Android related website. dhgate.com worked fine for me the first time, even it is nothing more than a trading platform for chinese products. So the product quality and delivery still depends on the seller, but you get certain assurance by the platform.
The Android I chosed: 10″ X220 Android 2.2, 1 Ghz CPU with 512MB RAM for 205.- U$ (about 258.- SGD) with free shipping
The order was processed within few hours and it did not take more than 2 days to be shipped to Singapore.
My first impressions of the SuperPad III:
- The device looks sturdy and is quite well assembled, it does not look cheap or like plastic china stuff.
- The appearance is very close to the Apple iPad.
- The resistive screen is smooth (much better than the Palladine Palroid)
- The performance is very good (we are talking about a 200U$ device!)
Some more details after using it for a while:
- The “built-in” GPS is an external GPS receiver that is plugged into the device. Not useful, except you mount it in the car.
- It comes with a ethernet connection (RJ-45). A bit contradictious to a mobile device.
- NO ROOT.
- It has NO USB port to connect the device as drive or for debugging. The is no debugging setting available. My attempt to adb wireless failed (due to no root).
- The market is the China “free-only” market which gives you no access to paid apps.
- Plug a headset into the earphone connector makes the screen shut off (hardware failure). I guess they would exchange without problems, I dont need it so I skipped the exchange.
Recommendation: If you look for a cheap alternative to play, watch movies on a decent speedy piece of hardware with a big screen, go for it ! No viable for development.