Is it finally possible ? While the AMI import tool is long awaited for but only available for Windows, it is rather a big hazzle to transfer manually (see this) any other OS ( my last attempt in 2010).
Today Amazon announced the EBS Snapshot Copy Feature (across regions). The intention is certainly to allow easy migration of data to another region, as you can copy the snapshot, create a volume and attach it to an instance. I was curious to try if I can migrate my Ubuntu instance to another region and it worked. You can use both command-line as well the AWS web admin.
- Create a snapshot of a volume in your source region
- Copy Snapshot
Beware of the transfer charges (this is considered regular IN/OUT traffic!)
- Change to target region
- Create an instance of the same type as your source (not really important to be same sizing) with some local AMI
- Stop the new instance
- Detach the volume automatically created
- Create a volume from the copied snapshot
Make sure it is in the same availability zone !
- Attach it to the new instance as /dev/sda1
- Start instance et Voila !
I am not sure if there are any side-effects or if it work with other OS but my Ubuntu server boots as expected and works fine. Great !